Hear Victor, an actual PNH patient, discuss how he learned he had PNH.
Start Learning—and Change the Way You See PNH
- PNH is serious. It starts with your blood, but it can affect your entire body
- PNH is dangerous. If you don’t take care of PNH, it can lead to serious health problems, including some that can be life-threatening
- PNH is constant. Even though you can’t see it, hemolysis is always happening
- PNH is manageable. Speak with your doctor to find out what’s right for you
If left unaddressed, PNH can lead to:
- Blood clots can block veins and arteries and lead to heart attack , stroke , and organ damage, as well as other problems
- Chronic kidney disease occurs in almost 2/3 of people with PNH
- Lung problems occur in almost 1/2 of patients with PNH. They can be caused by pulmonary hypertension . This can lead to shortness of breath and other serious health problems
- Fatigue due to hemolysis. Hemolysis affects the way oxygen gets delivered throughout your body. This can make you feel weak and tired to the point where once-normal, everyday activities become a struggle
Click on a word that is underlined with a light dotted line and an explanation of that word will appear.
References: 1. Brodsky RA. Blood Rev. 2008;22:65-74. 2. Rachidi S, Musallam KM, Taher AT. Eur J Intern Med. 2010;21:260-267. 3. Rosse WF. In: Hoffman R, Benz EJ Jr, Shattil SJ, et al, eds. Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 3rd ed. New York, NY: Churchill Livingstone; 2000:331-342. 4. Borowitz MJ, Craig FE, DiGiuseppe JA, et al; for Clinical Cytometry Society. Cytometry Part B. 2010;78B:211-230. 5. Hillmen P, Muus P, Röth A, et al. Br J Haematol. 2013;162:62-73. 6. Hillmen P, Lewis SM, Bessler M, et al. N Engl J Med. 1995;333:1253-1258. 7. Socié G, Mary J-Y, de Gramont A, et al; for the French Society of Haematology. Lancet. 1996;348:573-577. 8. Nishimura J-I, Kanakura Y, Ware RE, et al. Medicine. 2004;83:193-207. 9. Hillmen P, Elebute M, Kelly R, et al. Am J Hematol. 2010;85:553-559. 10. Hill A, Rother RP, Wang X, et al. Br J Haematol. 2010;149:414-425. 11. Meyers G, Weitz I, Lamy T, et al. Blood. 2007;110: Abstract 3683.